Port Orford Lifeboat Station Museum
Port Orford Coast Guard (Lifeboat) Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 29, 1998. From 1934 into the 1960s U.S. Coast Guard “surfmen” lived here, ever alert for ships in distress. When a call came they risked their lives to save others. See the 36-foot self-righting motor lifeboat number 36498 on the grounds. Visit the museum in the former barracks/office building. Four other historic buildings also remain at this 101.29-acre site. This is the only Forge River-type station left on the West Coast. The 36-foot boat came into use during the 1930’s and generally had a three-man crew. U.S. Coast Guard 36′ motor lifeboat 36498 served at the Port Orford Lifeboat Station until the station ceased lifeboat services in 1964. She came home to Port Orford in early 2000.