Beer 101 on Oregon’s North Coast: Week 1
Astoria, Seaside and Cannon Beach Brewers Collaborate on Commemorative Brew Served Oct. 18-20 and 25-27
As its number of breweries continues to grow, Oregon’s North Coast is gearing up to become one of the Northwest’s next great beer destinations. The communities of Astoria-Warrenton, Seaside and Cannon Beach invite beer enthusiasts to join the fun this fall with two weekends of sudsy events. Taste the Beer 101 brew crafted for the occasion by Astoria Brewing Company, Fort George Brewery, Seaside Brewing Company and Bill’s Tavern & Brewhouse.
Meet the brewers and beer icons, learn about Oregon’s brewing history, enjoy beer dinners and get great deals on lodging.
Beer 101 – Week 1: Schedule of Events
Some events require registration due to limited capacity. Events listed are scheduled for October 18-20, 2013, unless noted otherwise. Please click Register here where noted.
- “The Alchemy of Glassware” and beer tasting with Lisa Morrison, The Beer Goddess, 3 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 19, no charge and limited to the first 30 registered participants. Register here
- Special brewery tours of the historic Lovell Building brewery with tasters of Fort George Brewing canned beers and tasting trays with collaboration brew.
- Beer 101 pairing menu: appetizer, salad, bread, entrée and dessert with five beers; pick and choose or enjoy the whole meal.
- Special entrée on Friday and Saturday evenings and tasting trays with collaboration brew
- Tours of Astoria’s oldest remaining cannery building, special beer and food pairings and tasting trays with collaboration brew.
- Enjoy a tasting paddle tray, featuring the collaboration brew and three other Oregon craft ales for just $5 throughout the promotion. Add Fort George’s Vortex beer-battered fish and chips or onion rings to the sampler to create the quintessential North Coast beer meal.
- Happy hour food and drink specials from 3-6 p.m. at both locations and reverse happy hour specials from 9 p.m.-midnight. at the Irish Pub. All draft beer is just $4 for a single pint.
- Special Beer 101 menu featuring beer cheese soup, Oktoberfest platter with two types of sausage, braised red cabbage & McMenmins Dijon and Terminator mustards, and collaboration beer-braised short ribs with creamy polenta and seasonal vegetables.
- Sample the collaboration brew and other North Coast ales with a $5 taster tray, available Oct 18-20 & 25-27.
- Hops for lunch! Join Seaside Brewing Co. brewers from noon to 1 p.m. on Oct. 19 & 26 as they divulge the ingredients to their Nano Brewing System. The aroma itself makes this an hour you won’t want to miss.
- Appetizer & dessert specials available open to close; Lunch: 11 a.m. -4 p.m.; Happy Hour: 3-6 p.m.; Dinner: 4-10 p.m.
- Regular Northwest beer rotator tap will ONLY feature the Oregon’s North Coast collaboration brew; this “to-be-named-beer” will be $1 off during happy hour (3-6 p.m.)
- UFC Fight (Saturday, Oct. 19): Valasquez vs. Dos Santos
- Behind-the-Brewery-Scenes and Tasting, 2 – 3 p.m. and 3 – 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, October 19-20 and 26-27, no charge
*Wine & Beer Haus
- Book signing with “Craft Beers of the Pacific Northwest: a beer-lovers guide to Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia” author Lisa Morrison, 2 – 4 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 20, no charge; Register here
- Beer talk and tastings, 5 – 6 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 20 & 27, no charge.
- Beer 101 Tap Takeovers, IPAs, October 18 – 20, Stouts, Oct. 25 – 27, $4 per tasting tray
- Enjoy the Beer 101 collaboration brew. Try a four-beer tasting tray at one of Cannon Beach’s oldest restaurants for only $1 per sample.
- Enjoy the Beer 101 collaboration brew. Special entrée to pair with the collaborative brew offered both weekends. Noon-9 p.m. Ale of Two Cities Tour.
- Enjoy the Beer 101 collaboration brew.
- Enjoy the Beer 101 collaboration brew. Taste what’s on tap! Try every beer on tap for $10.
*Warren House Pub
- Enjoy the Beer 101 collaboration brew. Come try a special brewer’s matched menu, including dessert, 2-4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 19 & 26.
- Drop in and pick up some of their beer brittle candy made with our Beer 101 collaboration brew.
*Sample the newest North Coast brew at these locations, get creative and help us name it. The winner receives three weekend getaways to Oregon’s North Coast.
Let someone else do the driving and explore many of the North Coast’s finest breweries and beer establishments. Transportation is offered for one of two 4.5-hour tasting tour routes Oct.19, 20, 26 and 27. Tickets are $49 and must be purchased in advance here; limited to 25 participants. Get details at visittheoregoncoast.com/north
Ale of Two Cities Tour – Seaside and Cannon Beach – at the Wine & Beer Haus, The Lumberyard Rotisserie & Grill and Seaside Brewing, in that order. Join the tour at 12:30 p.m. at Astoria’s West Mooring Basin parking lot and proceed to the Wine & Beer Haus in Seaside for a 1 p.m. tasting. Tour ends in Astoria at 4:40 p.m. Register here.
Astoria Ale Trail Tour – Astoria – at Fort George, Wet Dog Café and Astoria Brewing, and Rogue Ales Public House, in that order. Join the tour at 12:30 p.m. at the Wine & Beer Haus parking lot in Seaside and proceed to Fort George for a 1 p.m. tasting. Tour ends at 4:30 p.m. in Seaside. Register here.