Oswald West Action Day – Citizen Science Extravaganza
2017 is the 50th Anniversary of the passage of Oregon’s Beach Bill! This landmark legislation guarantees access and makes public Oregon’s 362 miles of beaches. In honor of this anniversary and our past Governor, Oswald West, who first put our beaches into the public domain by designating them as a highway in 1913, the Portland chapter, along with our partners, are throwing a birthday party (his 144th on 5/20/17) action day to commemorate his efforts to create the Oregon we all know and love!
Activities for the Day: "Citizen-Science Choose your own Adventure" – starting @ 10am
- Audubon / Friends of Cape Falcon Marine Reserve – Seabird monitoring / Cape Falcon hike
- Surfrider / Coastwatch- Blue Water Task Force / Marine debris monitoring intro training
- Haystack Rock Awareness Program / Nature Conservancy – Intertidal exploration tour
Agenda for the Day:
- 10-12:00 – Citizen science adventures at or around Oswald West State Park
- 12:00-12:30 – Hands Across the Sands (http://www.handsacrossthesand.com/) photo shoot @ noon,
- 12:30-2:00 – BBQ @ picnic area (or possibly a later gathering at Public Coast brewing if the weather is bad).
Come Join us in celebrating our coastline and learning how you can do your part to protect our legacy for generations to come! #LongLiveOregonBeaches!