Tillamook County Museums & Organization Presents “A Step Back in Time”
The Tillamook Coast History Alliance will be offering a special combined and discounted ticket price on August 14th, August 15th and August 16th. The Tillamook County Pioneer Museum, Latimer Quilt & Textile Center, Garibaldi Maritime Museum, Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad, , Naval Air Station Tillamook Museum, Rockaway Beach Police Museum and the Old Iron Show are included in the flat ticket price of $20.00. This “Pass to the Past” will allow access to these museums and organizations with children under the age of 11 being free when accompanied by a ticketed adult. The Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad will charge a modest fee of $3.00 for ages 3-11.The Cape Meares Light House and the Tillamook Forest Center will also be working in conjunction on this event. Starting July 1st, tickets will be sold at the following locations: Tillamook County Pioneer Museum, Latimer Quilt & Textile Center, Garibaldi Maritime Museum, Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad. Advanced ticket sales can be purchased by calling Latimer Quilt & Textile at (503)842-8622. A limited number of tickets will be sold.
- Tillamook County Pioneer Museum: Kathleen Confer and Wanda Hurliman will present “Period Clothing: 1800 to 1912” from 12:00 to 2:30pm on Friday Saturday & Sunday from11:00- 2:30pm. On Saturday: “Old-Fashioned Music Lesson” with Leeauna Perry, from 10 to 11:30. Leeauna will teach a music lesson to children from ages 5 to 8 using old time musical instruments. Pre-registration is required. $5/child fee. Scholarships available. This is part of the “Children at Play” exhibit and is sponsored by the Tillamook County Pioneer Association. The Pioneer Museum will be open 9:00am to 5:00pm.
- Latimer Quilt & Textile Center – will be offering:
- Friday, Saturday and Sunday – Weaving, Spinning, Rug Hooking, Knitting demonstration, Bed turnings (trunk show of collection) 11:00, 1:00 & 3:00
- Friday and Saturday – Cross stitch sampler
- Sunday 10:30 and 1:30 – Bookmaking
- Folk Art Dolls – Friday 10:00 – 2:00
- Try your hand at: Hand quilting, sewing on a hand crank machine, crochet
- Garibaldi Maritime Museum – Is hosting Melodie Chenevert, curator of The Lost Art of Nursing museum in Cannon Beach. On Friday, from 11:00 to noon, Melodie will be presenting “Women Who Went into the Field: Nurses in Time of War” On Saturday at 1:00pm, Lloyd Palmer will be presenting “The History of the Tillamook Rails” This presentation is in conjunction with the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad. On Sunday from 11:00 to 3:00pm there will be sailor hat decorating. ($5.00 surcharge for sailor hats and decorations) The museum will be open 10:00am to 4:00pm.
- Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad – Will be offering rides between Garibaldi and Rockaway Beach, departing Garibaldi at 10:00am, noon, and 2:00pm, and departing Rockaway Beach at 11:00am and 1:00pm. Adult tickets are included in the $20 ticket, but there will be a modest charge of $3.00 for children ages 3 to 11.
- Naval Air Station Tillamook Museum – Take a step back in time and experience one of the most unique locations there is! Our wooden WW ll Blimp Hangar houses over 15 aircraft, uncommonly rare wartime artifacts, a Museum Store and Café. All housed in one of the world’s largest wooden structures! Welcome to history housing history! Open Daily-10:00am-5:00pm, Café-10:00am-4:00pm
- Old Iron Show – Will have exhibits of antique tractors, engines, and classic cars. Swap meet and tractor parade daily. Open Friday12:00-5:00pm, Saturday 9:00am to 5:00pm, and Sunday 9:00am to 3:00pm. There will be a classic car cruise in on Saturday. A blacksmith will be demonstrating this age old craft.
- Rockaway Beach Police Museum – View the private collection of Ed Wortman’s extensive police memorabilia. Stop at the Rockaway Police Station and chat with Ed about how he managed to acquire so much of it. A great stop in between train rides!
- Cape Meares Lighthouse – Open 11:00am to 4:00pm. Take a tour of the lighthouse and meet their ghost.
- Tillamook Forest – Join us for three days of fun celebrating the unique Tillamook State Forest. Throughout the weekend we will host engaging activities and displays representing the history of the forest before, during and after the fires. Enjoy free admission, events, and activities. Your generous donations to the Tillamook Forest Heritage Trust help support programs and events like this. This year’s Tillamook Forest Center “Return from the Burn” event is offered again in conjunction with Tillamook County’s “A Step Back in Time” which offers visitors an opportunity to visit several other museums and take a scenic train ride for an all-inclusive $20.00 pass. For more information on “A Step Back in Time”, please call the Garibaldi Maritime Museum at (503) 322-8411. We hope you’ll join us for the “Return from the Burn” event this year for some free family fun!
- Refreshments will be available at some locations.
Take a Step Back in Time with us as we host a collaborative event from the Tillamook Coast’s Museums! Be sure to purchase your “Pass to the Past” ticket today before they sell out! For more information please call the Garibaldi Maritime Museum at (503)322-8411.