Free Wild Mushroom Hikes
Go forth and forage! This fall, Fort Stevens State Park offers free wild mushroom hikes to guide you on the hunt for hearty edibles like Chanterelles, King Boteles and Lobster mushrooms. As experts on coastal fungi, park rangers will explain the area’s foraging regulations and offer instruction for mushroom identification and usage on the one mile round-trip tour.
Programs start at Battery Russell and dates include:
- Tuesday, September 30 at 1 p.m.
- Sunday, October 5 at 1 p.m.
- Sunday, October 12 at 1 p.m.
- Monday, October 20 at 1 p.m.
- Monday, November 10 at 1 p.m.
- Sunday, November 30 at 1 p.m.
Dress for changing weather conditions and bring a basket and pocket knife for gathering.
Can?t make it one of those weekends? Go on a self-guided tour with this handy guide to mushrooms. Pro tip: Get there early in the season before the best ones get picked over!