Tillamook Forest Center “Return from the Burn”
You are invited to attend the free 8th annual “Return from the Burn” event at the Tillamook Forest Center Friday, August 15th through Sunday, August 17th, from 10am to 5pm each day.
Join us for three days of fun celebrating the unique Tillamook State Forest. Throughout the weekend we will host engaging activities and displays representing the history of the forest before, during and after the fires. Thanks to the generous support of the Tillamook Forest
Heritage Trust, this year’s event will include new activities. On Saturday we are featuring the band Timberbound, who will offer two sets of old logger’s songs, including their rendition of “Tillamook Burn.” Also, we will have a special steam donkey presentation that will showcase how this 1880s machine became the workhorse of the woods. At the event you can:
- Meet Smokey Bear & his firefighting friends – receive a free goodie bag!
- Have fun during children’s story time and puppet show
- Eat yummy BBQ available for purchase from the Coyote’s Grill
- Visit with wildland firefighters and see their gear
- Drop a smoke jumper from the lookout tower
- Tap your feet while listening to Timberbound’s old logger’s songs (Saturday at 12:30 & 3 pm)
- Get wet exploring the Wilson River with Tillamook Estuaries Partnership staff on Saturday
- Watch a special steam donkey presentation
- Check out unique seasonal displays, face painting and much more!
- Enjoy free admission, events, and activities. Your generous donations to the Tillamook Forest Heritage Trust help support programs and events like this.
This year’s Tillamook Forest Center “Return from the Burn” event is offered in conjunction with Tillamook County’s “A Step Back in Time” which offers visitors an opportunity to visit several other museums and take a scenic train ride for an all-inclusive $15.00 pass. For more information on “A Step Back in Time”, please call the Garibaldi Maritime Museum at (503) 322-8411.
We hope you’ll join us for the “Return from the Burn” event this year for some free family fun!
The Tillamook Forest Center is located on Highway 6 at milepost 22; approximately one hour from Portland and 20 minutes from the city of Tillamook. Summer hours (7 days a week from 10 am to 5 pm) continue through September 7. Fall hours (Wednesday – Sunday from 10 am to 4 pm) begin on September 8, 2014. For more information about the Tillamook Forest Center, visit www.tillamookforestcenter.org or call toll free (866) 930-4646.