Twas the night before Christmas

Posted by Stuart Kemp / June 15, 2009

It was a weekend the wife and I had just prior to Christmas and a chance to go to Otter Crest and stay at the Inn at Otter Crest. I hadn’t driven to the Coast myself, but I got to be the driver. We left late afternoon December 22 and navigated to the Coast and headed towards the Inn. Having no idea where we were going and the dark making it tough to figure out where the hotel was, we became thankful that we had a cell phone and service as well.

We were navigated to the Inn by a very helpful desk clerk and in the pouring rain no less. We got our 2 bags and ran to the front desk of the Inn. The check in was smooth and we then were driven via golf cart to our room which overlooked the ocean. The crash of the waves booming and echoing made it an easy way to relax.

That night there was a storm and the wind rattled the divider between decks and moved the patio furniture about, but it added to the allure of the coast. The following day, with rain cascading down in torrents, we drove to Newport and my first encounter with Artic Circle. Having a coupon from our Entertainment Book, we stopped in for a delicious fast food snack. While we were there a few motorcycles arrived. It turns out they were on a toy run that had been a bit of a disappointment due to their “Santa” being unable to make it due to weather. The bikes that arrived looked awesome as did the toys aboard!

My wife and I then made a trip to Depoe Bay saw the waves crash over the street and we entered to win a Glass Ball ornament which amazingly enough we would find out a week later that we had won. (That ornament sits proudly in our living room above the TV.)

Back to the hotel where we would see on the news that Newport had received some 3 -4 inches of rain that day and we realized just how soggy that toy run must have been.

We then went to the Flying Dutchman Restaurant at the base of the hotel and enjoyed not only the food, but the accompanying piano during dinner.

The next morning we walked to the furthest point we could on the Inn’s property which was fenced in at the cliffside and had a walkway towards the water. We checked out the sand and surf and listened to the incredible sounds of the crashing waves.

It was now Christmas Eve Day and we had to return home, but took with us incredible memories. It’s funny, just after we got home, the snow hit the Coast Range and made driving exceptionally difficult. We were glad to have missed that.

We look forward to making another venture to the Coast this year, this time a bit further south as we look at Yachats as our new destination. I wonder if we’ll get another storm and this time we’re taking the dog. There will be a story from that I am sure.

We are looking forward to coming back to the Coast as it’s calling us again!

1. Robert Brown says:

Sounds like a fun story. Rain? On the Oregon Coast? Can’t be…

posted June 18, 2009 at 4:18 pm
  2. Troy Mather says:

Love this story. Makes me want to visit the coast. I grew up in Astoria and have not been back for a long time and this story just made me think about all the good times I have had when I did live there.

posted June 18, 2009 at 4:45 pm
  3. Tony B says:

That’s why I call this place home:) nice story

posted June 18, 2009 at 6:55 pm
  4. Jesse Jimenez says:

Sounds like an awesome honey moon for you two. I remember when I went up to the Oregon coast this past November I thought to myself how beautiful it was there, but I had never actually gone in the water. Well I did, and I realized why I never went in the water. Hope all is well with you.

posted June 19, 2009 at 8:05 am
  5. Anthony J says:

Why would you go to the Oregon coast during December? Must have had tons of layers of clothes on. Great story though.

posted June 20, 2009 at 8:53 am
  6. cathy says:

I was really really good

posted June 20, 2009 at 9:21 am
  7. Darrell Johnson says:

This is a beautiful story! Stuart and his wife deserve to win the trip!

posted June 21, 2009 at 2:03 pm
  8. Andrew Nicholls says:

Makes me feel like I was there. It looks like you captured a slice of coastal life!

posted July 5, 2009 at 10:00 am
  9. OCVA says:

Congratulations! You are the winner of June’s Share your Story Contest!

You have won a night at the Mill Casino, dinner for two, and two tickets to see Clint Black on 8/21/09.

Thank you for your participation.

posted July 7, 2009 at 10:17 am
  10. Mark Jeanson says:

I have visited the coast from Minnsota the past 4 years, the beauty of the coast takes your breath away. I am leaving in a few day to go back to the coast.

posted September 1, 2009 at 12:07 pm