Tranquility on the Oregon Coast

Posted by Kate Bennett / March 13, 2009

In the Fall of 2007, my mother and I felt as if we needed to escape our busy lives for a little while. After some brief research, we came upon the perfect place in which to do so. 90 minutes west of Portland lies a small, luxurious inn that invites people to come relax and rejuvenate. Ocean Point Inn, or OPI, is a three-room oasis that caters to those who want to escape the busy life for awhile.

Driving south along Highway 101, we eventually turned right onto Leech Lane and left onto Ocean Point Road. We saw the sign for the Inn and turned into its two-car maximum parking area. We were initially taken aback, as the inn’s exterior looked more like that of a single family’s home rather than an inn that housed guests.

While we were caught up in our thoughts, the co-owner of the Inn came to greet us. He had a huge smile on his face and a genuine calmness about him, both of which helped me to put my mind immediately at rest. He explained to us that there were two guest bedrooms on the first floor and a third guest room on the second floor. He claimed that he and his partner also lived on the second floor.

As there was not a lobby or a welcome area, he showed us to our second floor guestroom. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised when he opened our guestroom door. Cool gray tones emanated from the walls, and sparse white furniture demanded attention. It was very Zen; minimalist but elegant. There were a few black and white photos on the walls and a couple of natural wooden tables that held various Oregon travel magazines. All in all, it was a very calming environment.

The bathroom deserves special mention, as it was as large as a small bedroom, and it had an expansive shower, complete with exotic smelling shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. There were two different shower heads; one which emitted water from straight above your head, and the other which could be removed and pointed in any direction. Mirrors lined the wall opposite the shower, giving one ample space in which to apply make-up, tweeze some unwanted hairs and/or adore one’s sun-kissed face.

This leads me to another important trait of this Inn and its surroundings. As you are located right on the beach, you are quite exposed to the elements. The owners of OPI have placed colorful Adirondack chairs and lounge chairs in the grassy area separating the Inn from the beach, and it is all too easy to fall asleep on one of the chairs and wake up burned. It certainly happened to me.

If you do not feel like resting or reading outside, there are other activities to do, all within a 15 minute drive. For example, there is a popular surfing beach and hiking trail 10 minutes south of the Inn. To the north lies Cannon Beach, a quaint seaside town that is home to some wonderful seafood restaurants and the postcard famous Haystack Rock. If you would prefer something more indulgent, OPI offers massages and body treatments on site.

While I am on the topic of indulgent things, I must mention the gourmet breakfast that comes every morning with your stay. Each night, before we went to bed, a simple wooden tray would magically appear upon my mother’s bed. On this tray would be a goodnight chocolate truffle and a breakfast card that would list the various food and drink options for the following morning: house juice blend of passion, orange and guava; French pressed coffee; white tangerine tea; potato frittata with andouille sausage; fresh baked oatmeal apricot scones and an assortment of strawberries, green grapes and cantaloupe. Even with this large assortment, the breakfast entree would change every morning, and the chef was always open to requests.

The attentiveness to this meal every morning just set the tone for the rest of the day. Whether it was the use of their fax machine, a warm beach towel, or a fire in the fire pit, the hosts were there to serve. They ensured that each guest received the tranquility and peace that they were looking for.

If I ever want another escape from my hectic Portland life, I now know that a restful haven lies only 90 minutes away.

1. Andrew says:

I want to go there ASAP

posted March 19, 2009 at 11:21 am
  2. LB says:

Sounds like a rejuvenating place!

posted March 19, 2009 at 11:22 am
  3. Erin says:

The breakfast sounds delicious!

posted March 19, 2009 at 11:24 am
  4. Brooke Grob says:

The breakfast sounds awesome! I would stay there just for that.

posted March 19, 2009 at 11:24 am
  5. Anna Schlieman says:

the breakfast sounds amazing. I’d love to check it out.

posted March 19, 2009 at 11:37 am
  6. Leigh Bennett says:

yes this is truly a beautiful place…good enough for weddings on the beach..and “smores” toasting on a driftwood fire. To be so close to the ocean at night was heaven, especially as one could hear the sound of the waves..soothing one to sleep after a good hard days hike…. I think the owners of OPI should read this…maybe you could put it in a Oregon Travel guide, paper/ or magazine for them…

posted March 19, 2009 at 12:01 pm
  7. Robyn says:

What a beautiful description!

posted March 19, 2009 at 12:47 pm
  8. Lara says:

What a fantastic place you found! The attentiveness of the hosts truly comes through in your description.

posted March 22, 2009 at 8:33 pm
  9. James Eugene says:

Sounds like a terrific place…the article makes me want to go there and be pampered, as well as to spend a lot of time outdoors!

posted March 23, 2009 at 8:53 am
  10. John says:

Cool. Sounds like a great place. Where do I sign-up?

posted March 27, 2009 at 1:05 pm
  11. Graham says:

Sounds like a place that needs to be featured on HGTV or the travel channel!

posted March 27, 2009 at 1:12 pm
  12. Mr. and Mrs. Watkins says:

Sounds like the place has very attentive service. That’s always a plus.

posted March 27, 2009 at 2:54 pm
  13. Leanne says:

Thanks for the info! I’m always looking for a new place to stay at the coast!

posted March 27, 2009 at 3:50 pm
  14. Mac & Jean says:

This is a much needed addition to our beautiful coastline. There are lots of lovely inns, all of them bustling with activity. The pleasure of quiet comfort is something we all need now and then. Thanks forr the story, Kate!

posted March 27, 2009 at 4:13 pm
  15. Kim Rotondo says:

You make me want to visit!

posted March 27, 2009 at 4:37 pm
  16. Tara says:

Sounds incredible Kate!

posted March 27, 2009 at 4:38 pm
  17. Linda Weber Scott says:

I feel calmer just reading about it! I think I can hear the ocean!

posted March 27, 2009 at 4:52 pm
  18. Robin says:

OPI really sounds like a wonderful getaway! Thanks for the review, Kate. I’ll have to go there someday.

posted March 27, 2009 at 5:46 pm
  19. Becky says:

Oh, brings back memories of many many wonderful visits to the coast!

posted March 27, 2009 at 5:47 pm
  20. Jon says:

Sounds like a really great place

posted March 27, 2009 at 6:55 pm
  21. Kendra says:

I want to go!

posted March 27, 2009 at 8:07 pm
  22. Chris says:

Nice. Wish I could get out there this weekend–could use a break like that. Maybe when it’s warmer. And this person’s Portland life is a little less full!

posted March 27, 2009 at 9:01 pm
  23. JL says:

Sounds like a fun time Kate

posted March 28, 2009 at 5:36 am
  24. Minda Seibert says:

What a dream! Sign me up! Thank you for sharing.

posted March 28, 2009 at 7:41 am
  25. Ed says:

I was just thinking about heading up the coast this summer!

posted March 28, 2009 at 12:56 pm
  26. Marnie says:

A very complete picture of a relaxing escape

posted March 28, 2009 at 4:00 pm
  27. Deena says:

Can’t wait to visit! :)

posted March 28, 2009 at 4:35 pm
  28. Joanna says:

Wow. That’s the kind of vacation I’m in desperate need of. Would love to fall asleep in the sun.

posted March 28, 2009 at 6:02 pm
  29. Rafael Jarquin says:

I feel like I was there.

posted March 28, 2009 at 6:25 pm
  30. Paul says:

This looks really cool. I’m fairly jealous. NYC has been nasty until just this week. ;)

posted March 28, 2009 at 6:44 pm
  31. Marise says:

This place sounds like a great escape for a weekend of peace and rejuvenation. Too bad it is across the country from me!

posted March 29, 2009 at 9:21 am
  32. Drew says:

That’s it. I’m canceling my trip to Vegas.

posted March 29, 2009 at 9:38 am
  33. Jasmin says:

All I want to do is fall asleep on one of the Adirondack chairs in the grass in the sun!

posted March 29, 2009 at 9:35 pm
  34. Adrian says:

Makes me want to stay at OPI

posted March 30, 2009 at 8:51 am
  35. Kevin says:

It sounds wonderful. We are so lucky to have such places so close to Portland.

posted March 30, 2009 at 9:59 am
  36. kspene says:

Sounds like an wonderful get away!

posted March 30, 2009 at 12:30 pm
  37. Donald Lee says:

Oregon’s coast is moving up the to do list.

posted March 31, 2009 at 12:14 pm
  38. OCVA says:

Congratulations! Your story is the winner of this month’s ‘Share your Story’ Contest! You have won a 2-night stay at the Ocean Lodge in Cannon Beach.

posted April 1, 2009 at 9:31 am