July 4th Engagement

Posted by Kristin Krueger Bailie / March 1, 2009

My favorite activity on the Oregon Coast is to go for a morning run on the beach and I have always wanted a picture of myself running along the Pacific Ocean in Manzanita, Oregon. During a 4th of July vacation to the Oregon coast with my boyfriend and family, I was surprised by the offer of my boyfriend to take such a picture and by a marriage proposal on the beach.

On the morning on July 4th, 2005 I was woken up by my boyfriend asking me if I wanted to go run on the beach to take a photo. I agreed and we were shortly headed out for a run. We got down to the beach and my boyfriend suggested we try a few shots to see if the lighting was good. After running down about 100m and back I asked if I could see how the shots turned out. Matt, my boyfriend, then handed me his digital camera and in the viewfinder was my name. On the subsequent four pictures the words “will you marry me?” were written. I quickly accepted and joined him kneeling in the sand. His proposal was incredibly creative and I had no idea it was coming!

Afterwards I was delighted to see that he had also taken a few pictures of my beach running. We then ran up Laneda Avenue (the main street in Manzanita) and shared the good news with my family. That evening we had an engagement dinner at the house we were renting for the week and watched the fireworks on the beach.

In the almost four years since the proposal we have gotten married and moved from Chicago, Illinois to Portland, Oregon so we can spend more time enjoying the mountains and ocean. Each July 4th we return with family to Manzanita to celebrate the holiday and our engagement. The pictures from the proposal are still on my desk at work and come in handy as inspiration for getting out the door to run on rainy winter days.

The Oregon Coast provided the inspiration for our engagement!

1. Tom Deits says:

Wondefully romantic tale. The pictures are added delight. Hope the couple is still coasting.

posted March 6, 2009 at 6:03 am
  2. Ann M Eager says:

Wonderful story and wonderful couple!!!

My spouse and I celebrated our five year anniversary traveling the Oregon coast and LOVED it!!!!

Best wishes to all! Ann M. Eager

posted March 7, 2009 at 1:32 pm
  3. Scott Krueger says:

What an amazingly innovative and memorable way to propose in the perfect setting, on the Oregon Coast. As we battle another never ending brutal winter here in the Midwest, I only wish I could be currently enjoying the far more pleasant weather at the coast. Permanently trading our ice, snow and sub zero winter temperatures, or for that matter the heat and humidity of the summer, for the weather on the Oregon Coast would be a dream come true!

posted March 9, 2009 at 5:05 pm
  4. joan stein says:

Happy memories are created then turned into tradition on the Oregon Coast. Sounds like the magic of the surf and sun worked on you two. Congratulations!

posted March 9, 2009 at 8:24 pm
  5. Barbara Krueger says:

There is a magical feeling that takes over whether one takes a stroll or run on the beach. Oregon had such foresight to preserve the shoreline for all to enjoy!

posted March 10, 2009 at 6:55 am
  6. Sara says:

What a creative proposal! Many happy memories for those two in the town of Manzanita!

posted March 17, 2009 at 9:07 pm
  7. Ann says:

What a wonderful and romantic proposal in beautiful Manzanita! Our best wishes to this couple.

posted March 23, 2009 at 10:52 am
  8. Keith says:

Congratulations to these two. Beautiful story, beautiful couple, beautiful setting!

posted March 23, 2009 at 10:57 am