Blogging at the beach

Posted by Renee Maller / February 12, 2009

October 10, 2008

It is warm and sunny at Falcon Cove this day. As I look out the window at the Pacific I find myself wishing I had a camera with a telephoto. There are numerous flocks of pelican flying north, traveling low over the water, just a little too far out to capture well with my little Nikon. I took the dogs for a walk on the beach at low tide and we had the whole cove to ourselves. Just Nikko, Aubrey and myself. Oh, and the sea lion. I almost didn’t see him laying high up on the sand in the sun, as the dogs and I were meandering in and out of the water. When I did catch sight of him, I thought he might be dead, but then he turned his head to look at us and I realized he was just catching some rays. The dogs didn’t see him, because they were busy playing in the surf. We worked our way down to the south end of the Cove, where the tide pools are, and checked out the sea life. The tide was not very low today, not like the last time I was down here, when there were record low tides. But I still got to see a few starfish and various other sea creatures. On the way back up the beach I tried to keep the dogs busy and distracted as we once again passed the sea lion. We almost got past him when he decided to sit up straight, startling the dogs. Fortunately, they behaved and continued to follow me, though now they kept looking back and sniffing the air, wondering what that creature had been. He was pretty large. If I had to guess I would say at least seven to eight feet in length. God knows what he weighed, but I’ll bet more than double the dogs and I together! I enjoyed a wonderful 2003 Penner-Ash Goldshmidt Vineyard Pinot Noir while I wrote this. I highly recommend any of the Pinots from Penner-Ash. I recently purchased several different Penner-Ash pinots from the 2006 vintage that I will have to try to resist for a few years!
www.pinotnoirvana.com

1. Evan says:

From the sounds of it, your dogs probably could have use an tall glass of wine after encountering such a massive, hairless, armless, odd-looking dog.

posted February 20, 2009 at 11:57 am
  2. Edward! says:

He sounds majestic! The wine, not the sea lion.

posted February 20, 2009 at 12:01 pm
  3. Kadie says:

You seem to have done alright without the telephoto lens, that is a great picture! Sounds like the perfect day.

posted February 20, 2009 at 12:25 pm
  4. Toby says:

Toby loves the beach…we could all use a day at the beach like that. Sun, waves, Sea lions…can’t go wrong! Toby Toby Toby!

posted February 20, 2009 at 12:37 pm
  5. Robyn says:

Doesn’t get much better than this – sunny day at the beach, good company and good wine

posted February 20, 2009 at 12:54 pm
  6. Rhonda says:

Looks like you were blessed with a great day and a vision you may never get to see again. Thanks for sharing!

posted February 20, 2009 at 2:59 pm
  7. Benny says:

Where is this beach that has such a drastic change from round lava rock to sand?

posted February 20, 2009 at 2:59 pm
  8. OCVA says:

Cape Falcon is near Cannon Beach at Oswald West State Park, Mile Post 39.0, 45.76778 N, -123.98111 W.

posted February 20, 2009 at 3:21 pm
  9. Kelli says:

Sounds like a great time! A little relaxing, a little adventure, some recreation and good drinks. My kind of day!

posted February 20, 2009 at 7:45 pm
  10. Jen says:

Sounds fabulous! A day at the beach with your two best buddies, a bottle of wine, an encounter with one of god’s wild creations. What a blessed day you had Renee.

posted February 23, 2009 at 12:22 pm
  11. Lark says:

Wine! Beach! Two of my favorite words!

posted March 24, 2009 at 2:28 pm